Friday, October 18, 2013

Snips!

I've been sewing lots of smaller items: pillows, Christmas stockings, pin cushions, fabric boxes, baby booties... but as soon as I finish I drop them off to be sold at the upcoming Central Coast Quilters Quilt Show and Boutique.* And I've forgotten to take pictures of them. Oh, well, you'll just have to come to our Show to see them, and to buy them!

After reading Needled Mom's post about all of her scissors, and Thearica's post  that inspired it, I was curious to see just how many scissors are in my house. There are two categories of scissors here: scissors for cutting fabric, and scissors for anything else.

Using  scissors for cutting fabric for any other purpose will dull them. In order to protect my  scissors for cutting fabric, I have stashed scissors in many places in the house so they will be easy to find. Hopefully, easier to find, for anyone looking for scissors, than my scissors for cutting fabric.
My desk drawer

In my sewing room, for cutting paper

Sweet little stork scissors,
for doing hand work, near the television

Kids' scissors, for taking on airplanes

That hole under the kitchen counter,
where phone books used to die.

The kitchen drawer

The other kitchen drawer

In the cabinet with gift wrap

Bathroom scissors

Decorative edge scissors, in the craft closet

In Ralph's desk drawer

In my sewing room, there are  scissors for cutting fabric. 
None of them are particularly special, but they are sharp,  scissors for cutting fabric, and I try to keep them that way. I think this may be the year I ask Santa to bring me some really awesome Gingher sewing shears. Unless I win some from Thearica's give-away!
Pinking shears, too-stiff shears, thread snips, and large shears.
That brings me to 22 pairs of scissors in the house, today, that I know of! How many scissors are in your house? Is it too many, not enough?

In the meantime, I'm putting the finishing touches on another quilt. Machine-quilting in an all-over pattern using metallic thread, and I think it looks great on this jewel-tone quilt! I'll show you when I've finished hand-stitching the binding.


*Central Coast Quilters presents: Sun, Sea, Sew!
Quilt Show, Boutique, Bake Sale Granny's Attic, Opportunity Baskets!
Saturday, November 2, 2013. 10:00 to 4:00.  Admission $3
211 Vernon Avenue
Arroyo Grande, CA

7 comments:

Jodi said...

When I first read your status update on Facebook I thought to myself, "Holy cow! Twenty-two pairs! That is excessive." Then when I read your blog post and I see you have included all kinds of scissors I realized I am probably right there with you. I have three pair of sewing scissors (2 regular size and one small), pinking shears, kitchen shears, cuticle scissors, hair scissors, one or two in the garage, one in my desk, one in the kitchen drawer for paper,not cooking, multiple kids scissors, one that is in my Boy Scout bag, several decorative edged scissors, fine point for paper crafts, one for cutting rubger stamps, ribbon scissors.....sigh...I guess we are in the same boat. :-)

Needled Mom said...

You really DO have them all over the house!!! Great idea!

I was up in Arroyo Grande last weekend. It would have been fun to see the show. Maybe next time.

Cristine said...

Now that sure is a variety of scissors....can't wait to take my own inventory!

Jodi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jodi said...

Do I still show up as a no reply blogger?

Thearica said...

That is a passel of scissors! :)

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I started counting mine and then gave up. I have lots too!

Thanks for your comment on my blog. you are a no reply commenter because you don't have your email enabled on your Blogger profile.