Tuesday, January 24, 2017

January finishes, part 1

So, I moved to Seattle, and I joined the Modern Quilt Guild, and I'm motivated to explore some improvisational quilting, and some modern design! At the same time, I am keenly aware of the number of unfinished projects (UFOs, in quilt-speak) that came with me in those moving boxes.


I linked to the APQ UFO resolution challenge to list 12 unfinished projects I want to finish in the year.  APQ announced that the project for January was whatever was listed as #6, and for me, that was an English Paper Piecing project I'd started years ago.

It began with this fabric, several yards, purchased from the thrift store in 2012. I usually consider a black-red-white quilt too high contrast for my taste, and it's more "country" style than I prefer, but it's also kind of European in its appeal...


I stack-and-whacked the black panels, and hand-stitched the diamonds into a big hexagon shape, then stalled out, not really having a purpose for a smallish, black, roundish quilt. It became a PIG (project in grocery bag).
Auditioning black borders in 2012


When I pulled it out again, I was far away from the investment of time and needle-pricks of the original project, so it wasn't too painful to use a seam ripper to take it apart.
The stars were rearranged and stitched back together. Yes, I hand-stitched them, again.

I even hand quilted! You know, I thought I'd be pretty good at hand quilting. It's a lot harder than it looks! My stitches are big and my lines are wobbly. I don't think I'd be welcome at an old-fashioned quilting bee! Still, I like how it turned out.





So, I have a new table runner that looks great with the faded red, cabbage rose wallpaper in the dining room. This room is in the center of the house, and provides a breathing space between the very lived-in living room and the kitchen. I try to not let it be a dumping place, and to actually dine here.

Some of the leftover stars became place mats.



Traditional fabric, techniques, and product. Still hoping to find a toe-hold in the modern quilt genre!

3 comments:

Needled Mom said...

I really like the way that you made the blocks into a table runner. It makes for such a pretty table. I admire you for finishing the UFO. Too often I tire of a project and then do not like it when I come back to it. My tastes just change, I guess.

Lysa said...

WEll done!!! And congrats on all those points and getting it all done! High five!

professional embroidery digitizing services said...

Thanks for explaining how underlay affects patch rigidity. That’s a game-changer for patch durability.