Sunday, January 17, 2010

Bethany had asked for an afghan, back when I was crocheting this:

It was a hand-me-down project from super-crafter Donna, when I asked her to teach me how to crochet. It was so cozy to have a warm afghan on my lap and to keep my hands busy while watching TV with the fam. The half Donna crocheted is perfect, and my half is a little wonky, and I love it. Crochet and knitting take a long time, though, and I like to finish a project while running on the initial enthusiasm. Then I started noticing all the discarded and unappreciated crochet afghans at the thrift stores, and I decided to spay/neuter the yarnworks, and not contribute to that overpopulation.

Anyway, when Bethany asked for an afghan, she wanted one in yellow and brown. Colors I like, but I wasn't enthusiastic about putting them together. In a quilt, however, I could smoosh together lots of prints and shades, and I think it works pretty well.



I could have arranged the blocks better, I know. How did I get all that white in one section? and I neglected to add seam allowances to the longest middle rectangles, so the corners/edges don't all line up, but that's certainly okay. It was my first try at machine quilting, and I'm very proud of it!

I was going for a stippling pattern, but ended up with this "fingers and toes" pattern; I like it! But I'm still going to try for stippling next time! And I'll try to get my pattern a little bigger, too: this took a lot of work!

No comments: